Day 18 - Shadow Rules



December 27, 2014

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


My mother used to sing to my sisters and me when we were little. She did not think she had a good voice and she only sang to us when we were young enough that we had no critical ear. So in my memory, she was a singer. Some of her favorites were Let Me Call Your Sweetheart, Put Another Nickel in the Nickelodeon, Me and My Teddy Bear and Me and My Shadow, from the late 1920’s. Even today after more than 60 years, those tunes still stick in my memory. Musically, I always liked the way the fourth note of the chorus, “Me and my shadow…” changed from major to minor. It sounded like it slid just the way shadows slide over the ground as I walk.

It is a good thing that some things never change. For example, if my shadow became erratic and didn’t follow certain rules (I’m serious), it would confuse me. It keeps me grounded knowing how my shadow always behaves.  

Shadow Rule #1: Shadows sleep when the sun sleeps (or when the lights are out.)
Shadow Rule #2. All shadows must belong to someone or something.
Shadow Rule #3: Shadows must always be near their owners unless there is no strong light.   
Shadow Rule #4: Shadows do not have faces.
Shadow Rule #5: A shadow must imitate its owner.
Shadow Rule #6. Everything has only one sunshine shadow
Shadow Rule #7: Shadows begin long in the morning, shrink, and then grow longer again at the end of the day.

Growing up in a stable and loving family, I always knew that the love that surrounded me would never change. This grounded me too and followed me throughout my life, just like my dependable shadow.

Today’s gift is constancy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> DAY 19 Puggle Lesson
You can read my other posts on this project here:



3 comments:

This space for your comments: