Day 36 – In a Mirror Darkly



January 14, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year about gifts that each day brings.)


“Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?” I asked Siri.

She answered (did I detect excitement in her voice?), “Snow White! Is that you?!!!

I laughed and, of course, was not really interested if I was the “fairest.” However, I will admit that when I look into a mirror, I still see a 30-year-old face looking back. Like others, I do not always see clearly what is in front of my imperfect eyes.

In I Corinthians 13:12, Paul talks about how imperfect human understanding is, comparing our limited vision to one reflected in the Roman-era polished bronze mirrors of that time—dim, wavy and unclear. In the King James translation, it was changed to “For now we see through a glass, darkly,” when it really should read, “For now we see in a glass, darkly.”

Today my sisters and I worked on clearing out my father’s apartment and I brought home a mirror that had been hanging in my parents’ home for many years. It has three sections with an ornate etched design at the top and on each side. How many times have I walked past this mirror, symbol of physical and spiritual reflection? How many people have been reflected in it during its lifetime? Does it help us know ourselves such as the oracle of Apollo at Delphi demanded or does it enable narcissism such as seen in Snow White’s wicked stepmother?

I am sure if the mirror could talk, it would have many esoteric stories to tell. 

My gift today is a reflection.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: