Day 66 – Rainbows



February 13, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)



           
In February, when days have lost their color and loss has recently filled so much of our lives, there is still a rainbow to be found, often in small corners.

Today at a memorial service for friend Joe Challmes, who was suddenly taken from us, bleak could have easily dominated except for the love of family and friends who told stories of Joe and reveled in what a character he had been. Everyone remembered his always-positive attitude in the face of adversity and how he never let things get him down. His family spoke and then David gave a beautiful eulogy, followed by a recorded story in Joe’s voice. The room became brighter and colors more vivid.

Choices have much to do with the presence of rainbows in our lives—the friends we choose, the stories we tell, the hugs we give, and what we choose to say and do and see. Today I stopped in the hall to notice how light was streaming through a small stained glass window and how it fell in angles around the window. One of the staff members of the funeral home hurried toward me and called out, concerned that I might be lost. I was lost in the light but not in the way he thought.

It was a small spot of beauty that I chose to see then and that I am now choosing to share with others. When I look at the pattern in the window, I see a door and a path. I consider what path I choose and hope that it is always one that brings light to my spirit and to those I touch.

 My gift today is choice.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: