Day 71 – Small Beauty



February 18, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


This is the time of the year when everyone begins to grow weary of weather, when “think spring” becomes a mantra. Among one of the first signs of spring is the crocus, often seen peeking through a snow-covered ground. It becomes a sign of hope that spring is surely arriving soon after a winter of shivering and shoveling sidewalks and driveways. I think the King George heather, botanical name Erica carnea King George, has the crocus beat in terms of uplifting one’s spirits. This evergreen blooms all winter long with its tiny pink and white flowers, reminding us not of the coming spring but of beauty that can exist in the midst of chilly gray days. Every day as I enter or leave the house, this plant lines the steps, a flowering reminder to look for small examples of beauty in a larger dreary day. 

I wonder how the plant got its name. I could not find an answer but I did learn that England’s King George IV visited Scotland in 1822 and received a warm welcome from the Scottish people.  Poet Sir Walter Scott put on an extravaganza for the king, who was kept busy during his visit and, at 60, showed great stamina. His visit to Scotland strengthened its fragile bond with England. Scotland takes great pride in its abundant heather. White heather is supposed to be especially lucky since legend has it that it will only grow on ground where no blood has been spilled. I don’t know if any of these dots can be connected but I learned some history while searching for an answer.

Like King George heather, there are hundreds of examples every day of small spots of beauty: a smile from a stranger, a hug from a friend, a like on Facebook, a well-worded phrase in a book, homemade matzo ball soup, the sun streaking through Venetian blinds, a phone call from someone just wanting to say hello, a kiss from my husband. 

My gift today is King George heather flowers poking through snow.
­­­
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> DAY 72 From Scratch

You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: