Day 72 – From Scratch



February 19, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


There nothing better if you’re sick or cold, than a bowl of chicken matzo (or matzah or knaydelach -Yiddish) ball soup made by my husband, David. I’m not sick and I’m warm inside, but it’s still a treat any time. Carrots, celery, onions, matzo balls and chicken—he turns it all into a delicious soup from scratch. Well…he didn’t kill the chicken and he didn’t raise the carrots, celery and matzo balls in a garden, but at least it is not out of a can.

I am truly blessed to be married to a good cook and to one who prepares all our meals. He also loves to go grocery shopping which I hate to do. I run in and out as quickly as I can, unable to find anything I want and always get lost. I don’t bother with price comparisons or coupons, nothing that would make me stay inside shopping any longer than I needed.  As a child, I was spoiled with a mother who was a good cook but, although my sisters do fine, I obviously did not inherit her cooking genes. So now, I’m married to a great Jewish mother who cooks beef brisket, kugel, blintzes, and matzo ball soup among other things. He also does bacon and excellent scrambled eggs.

In 2010, the world’s largest matzo ball, 426 pounds, was created in Arizona.  A little over the top, I’d say. My husband’s balls were the perfect size in a most delicious soup tonight.

My gift today is homemade matzo ball soup.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

> DAY 73 Yin and Yang
You can read my other posts on this project here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: