Day 76 – Cygnus



February 23, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


I found a small glass swan in my curio cabinet; I do not remember why I have it or where it came from. Its smooth hard curves feel soothing in my hand as my fingers glide over its contours and my eyes notice the way it reflects light and color. Soon I exchange the lens in my eye for the one on my camera. I can control the reflections by changing background, angle, lighting and lens aperture.

Like this swan's dance with light and color, I too have choice in how I receive my mind’s reflections and in the way I reflect with others.

Internally, I can choose to think with an open mind, allowing unconnected thoughts to flow and entwine until a new metaphor is born. Then I can embrace it, blend it with other thoughts and ideas, and build new understandings. 

How I relate to others depends on how we reflect one another’s light and color, how we trust and share and how open we are to receive those reflections. Just as the colors curve along the swan’s neck, I can allow my interactions with others to flow naturally with the light. The background in my photo is the paper that wrapped a recent present from my friend Shirley. Today it becomes a colored background interacting with a glass bird--part of today's gift.

My gift today is curving reflections.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­
You can read my other posts on this project here:







No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: