Day 97 Lost and Found



March 16, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)
 
One feather: lost by bird, found by human.


Near a wooded path in the sunlight lay a white feather with a long white rachis, a vane somewhat separated like uncombed hair, its patterned barbs separated here and there, curved as if they were preparing to take flight without a body. This feather might be one of 1,000 or more feathers from a seagull and might have lined a nest if it hadn’t been lost. I am glad the bird shared its beauty with me.

I like to think that this avian gift was left for a soulmate, one with soaring dreams, one who likes to be tickled with ideas. When I think of what else could have dropped near my path, I am happy that the best part of this bird landed there. 

“The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow


When I fly away into the night, I hope to leave some of my feathers to tickle the imaginations of those left behind and encourage their dreams to soar.  I wish to leave behind beauty and a part of myself that will inspire flight toward love and creativity. 


“Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.”
~ Emily Dickinson

My gift today is a feather.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

> DAY 98 Going the Distance  
You can read my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: