Day 126 Wet Dreams



April 14, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)

Raindrops run downward, becoming rays for a rising sun.

As a child, I used to love thunderstorms. In my mind, they trumpeted excitement and adventure and I would sit at the window, soaking in the booms and flashes. As an adult, I find myself too prone to worry about falling trees, lightning strikes and all the bad stuff. However, both the young me and the older me love the sound of gentle all-day rain. The young me would curl up with a good book or play games on our family’s front row house porch with my sister in the summertime. 

This morning I awoke to the sound of raindrops and smiled. The pitter-patter mix with the backyard bird songs was music to my ears. I fixed myself a cup of one of the two expensive jasmine globe green tea balls from China that I bought for $1.68. A rainy morning deserves elegant taste and a good book.  Even our cat Misty wanted to go out on this soggy day and lap up the rain—literally. She seemed to relish the fresh pools that formed on the deck. She came back inside, purring constantly. 

Sound therapy is a big market these days, especially the sound of rain. Some say it is the white noise that makes rain so relaxing. A primordial sound massages the brain’s alpha rhythm. Or perhaps it has something to do with how rain mutes colors and sounds when harsh sunlight simply offers too much information. Research shows that nature is restorative and positive for mental health. I believe this. It made a purr in my mind today.

My gift today was a liquid brain massage.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

This is brilliant. Generate your own rain noise!


You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: