Day 137 Marriage of the Senses



April 25, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


 
Oregon blue ice agate pendant by Janol and Matt looks like a miniature painting by nature.

All of today was a gift as I showed Hiro, our Japanese visitor, around my area. We started at the Robot Fest at the National Electronics Museum in Linthicum where 3D printers demonstrated the new wave of technology and robots roamed about. Several exhibits demonstrated the integration of senses. Students from MICA mixed the sense of touch and sight in clothing design and Michelle Vargas, a senior, mingled movement of a mask she created with her own body’s motion. With her technology wizardry, she caused her movement several feet away to result in facial changes in the mask. Magic! Another exhibit married sound and sight with music and light colors and patterns based on actual musical scale notes in the music.

Next, we dined at the Papermoon Diner where we mixed taste and sight, surrounded by old toys and visionary art everywhere, including those nailed to the ceiling. Then we moved on to the Hopkins Fair where we took in sights, sounds and smells. Geological beauty offered by Janol and Matt drew me to their booth where I found one-of-a-kind necklace and earrings made from Oregon blue ice agate. Matt looks for small areas in larger pieces and he showed me the larger piece this particular beauty came from. His artistic eye led him to cut a perfect section that I wound up purchasing. He said he had to sever the emotional umbilical cord from this piece, one of his two favorites. Hiro and I returned to the car through the Baltimore Museum of Art’s sculpture garden and ended up at Fort Smallwood Park in Anne Arundel County before going home. What a good day!

Tonight my senses merge as I look again at the beautiful Oregon blue ice agate and my fingers slide back and forth over its smooth surface. 

My gift today is a piece of Oregon blue ice agate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: