Day 166 LOL



May 24, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)

Young artist shows the portrait he drew of me wearing my LOL earrings.
He walked in with his grandfather where the Creative Exposure Baltimore exhibit was showing at New Beginnings during Sowebo Fest. Somewhat shy at first but with a twinkle in his eye and a smile for fun, his five-year-old self gradually warmed up to a senior woman wearing a hat and funny earrings. He held a small notebook and a pen and soon asked me to draw a picture of him, which I did in my seven-year-old style that I never outgrew. We laughed together over the results.

Then I asked him to draw a picture of me. He began the lengthy process as I posed. “I’m drawing your ears.” He kept me informed of his progress. “I’m drawing your earrings now.” He finally finished and, with a bit of teasing back and forth, let me look at the portrait he drew of me. Somehow, my body went missing but the appendages were there. With his artistic exaggerated rendering, he drew my LOL Scrabble earrings from my ears to my fingertips and included a wide smile to go with it. I am glad he focused on the important features.

Then my young artist signed his name and his sister’s and added LOVE. Priceless. I took three photos of him and he told me which one he liked best so that is the one I chose to illustrate today. Surrounded by artists at an arts festival, I pick the one I like best--an emerging artist who hugs the people he draws.

My gift today is my portrait by a young artist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­


You can find links to my other posts on this project here:





No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: