Day 167 Cinder Blocks


May 25, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


A gallon of Dry Loc, a ¾ paint roller and a cheap, disposable brush—with these, I painted our new retaining wall of 50 plus blocks, preparation before painting it brown to match the color of the bottom of the house. After it is finished, I am thinking of either adding art or a metal frog to the wall and planting a couple of green plants in the ground near it.

Looking at the record photo I took of today’s work, I am reminded of the time years ago when I had a vision for the area at the base of this wall that is the entrance to our downstairs. At that time, I had to gather and carry away piles of leaves that had settled there before I leveled the ground. Then I bought sand to lay as a base before I laid the patio bricks. It is hard for me to imagine now how I carried the sand and the bricks from the car to the back of the house and spent a day or so finalizing my vision. And then there was the treehouse I built single-handedly…with a porch, a poem and a unicorn window.

Tonight I am tired and my back is sore from the mere painting I accomplished earlier. When I think of what I used to be able to do and what I can accomplish now, I have two choices when it comes to my attitude: (1) I can complain about what I used to be able to do but can no longer do; (2) I can be thankful what I am able to do today. Of course, this is a no-brainer. Complaining does not make me feel better but what I can accomplish now does.  I think I will forget the art idea and add a ready-made frog to the wall.

My gift today is what I am able to accomplish now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: