Day 177 Suppose



June 4, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th years where I write and illustrate a blog on each day’s gift.)


I was sitting in my car today and getting ready to pull off a parking lot when I heard something on my roof. It sounded like the first big heavy raindrops before a downpour. I waited for the rain but it didn’t happen and this made me get out of the car to check why my car was the only one hit by rain. I was greeted by a yellow Ritz cracker and several ants carrying cracker crumbs away. They looked a little confused to be on my car roof because they were going in circles. I have to conclude that a seagull or some other bird found this cracker on the ground, along with the busy ants, grabbed it, took flight and accidentally dropped it as it was flying over my car. This isn’t quite as odd as the time I was driving down Rt. #100 and a mouse suddenly scurried about on my windshield but that’s another story. This cracker started me thinking about the random nature of the universe.

So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness." ~ Sidney Poitier

What are the odds that this cracker would fall on my roof? What are the odds that I might not have existed? Suppose my paternal grandfather had not emigrated from Germany to the U.S.? Suppose one of my maternal grandparents had not lived in southern Maryland where they met? Suppose my parents had not attended the same church and had never met at all? Suppose another tiny sperm had reached a different egg?  In the path that leads to me, there are so many points where things might have twisted and led in another direction. Some days I feel incredibly lucky to be here at all. 


My gift today is a cracker.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:








No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: