Day 214 Hēlios Anthos Over-Achiever



July 11, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day’s gift.)




Turn your face to the sun and the shadows follow behind you." ~ Maori Proverb

Every morning when I get up, I look out the window to discover how far my potted sunflower plant has evolved in its growth.  It seems to have taken forever. For a while, I looked at the tightly clenched bud and wondered if it would ever open.  Then I noticed something strange—there are three more buds on the same stem. I have an over-achieving sunflower! It offers not one but four buds to watch as they bloom. 

The ever so gradual opening of the buds slows time and makes me appreciate the interim. I watch sunlight play with the fuzzy stem and cannot refrain from feeling its texture. I observe the small pointed green leaves in the “bonnet” enclosing the yet-to-emerge flower. Occasionally a fly lands. Every day, the “bonnet” slowly releases its hold to allow yellow petals to push through. Then the bees arrive and the large green leaves on the stem become covered with yellow pollen. 

Now when I awaken, I look at the lingering buds and wonder when they too will decide to greet the world. I wonder if the two remaining buds will time their appearance so the stem will hold four blooms at once. And then I worry if the stem will be strong enough to hold four blooming heads as they follow the sun through the day. Then I say qué será será and begin my day. I could do worse than greet a sunflower each morning.

My gift today is an over-achieving sunflower.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 215: More Quirky Smaltimore

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: