Day 219 Before the Buzz



July 16, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day’s gift.)

 
My doctoral thesis with a screen capture of the website for my studies.
Not long ago, I received an e-mail from someone I hadn’t seen in ten years who played a role in my last degree, Doctor of Communications Design, from the University of Baltimore. She is in the process of simplifying material possessions and had a copy of my book, my doctoral thesis, which she wanted to return to me. JoAnna had been one of three people on my doctoral committee. 

She acknowledged that I had been ahead of the curve when I started focusing on the problem of bullying in 2001 before it became a buzzword and before cyber bullying exploded. It seems so long ago when I was teaching seventh-graders all day and doing graduate studies at night. With the help of American and Japanese teachers, my research began. I taught five classes (around 150 12-year-olds) a  day, maintained a website for my students and their parents, developed a website for my studies, took six graduate credits a semester and tried to maintain my sanity. Sleep was rare in those days but stimulating intensity was abundant. It was an exciting time of learning, connecting, growing, evolving and creating. Now I look back on that time, wondering how I ever fit everything into my daily clock. Truth is that my social life was on hold.

A visit with JoAnna today at her home was a delight as we discussed the adventure of life and the importance of being open and how it leads to possibilities and more adventure. Today was a return to a most special time in my life. I came home with another copy of my book.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.” ~ Frank Zappa

My gift today is a return.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 
You can find links to my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: