Day 226 Shell, Fur and Skin



July 23, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day’s gift.)


I frequently see large, very old snapping turtles in the pond at Downs Park, but not today. It was difficult to see anything in the water because of the red tide or algae bloom. Every year, for a short time, the pond becomes covered with green. It doesn’t seem to affect things much and, once it clears, I can again see life in the pond.

Today, among the textured algae, I noticed some movement in the water. With the help of my telephoto lens, I was able to zoom in a little to determine that I was watching two baby turtles romp about. One would chase the other, dive down and then pop a head above the surface to see where the other was. Then the second turtle would follow with the same antics. It reminded me of two kittens playing together, leaping about, hiding from one another and then peeking from under a hiding place to see if the other is watching. It also reminded me of two children playing. Run, hide, and then look from around a corner to see what the other is doing.

It is interesting to see how creatures in shells and creatures in fur and small creatures in smooth skin all play with the same glee. Maybe we adults can learn a little from them and play with the same joy in our skin, covered or uncovered. 

My gift today is playful turtles.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 
You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: