Day 267 Ecology of the Mind



September 2, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

It is good to turn the brain off once in a while.
 When I go through spells of busy days and nights, sometimes I yearn for a change of pace. I do not like the television or music constantly on and I do not want to go out every night. I need some quiet times when I can reflect and not feel hurried. Although connections enrich my life, I also like to be disconnected at times. Metaphorically speaking, I like to forget about running through a day, a week, a month, and slow the pace down to a walk…sometimes even a crawl. And there are also times when I do not want to think but just vegetate. 

It is not in my nature to vegetate and be passive, but there is nothing wrong with giving myself permission to do this occasionally. In some strange way, it seems to clear my head. If days move too quickly, it is easy to lose yourself.  Most artists know that it is necessary to turn down the brain volume in order to refresh and create. Like a stone in a stream, we must allow the moving water to flow around us. 

Tonight David and I found ourselves sitting on the sofa and catching up on missed episodes of Masters of Sex (an excellent series).
Slow down and enjoy life. It’s not only the scenery you miss by going too fast – you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.” Eddie Cantor
My gift today is a slow motion night.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

Day 268: Ephemeral Glow 

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:





No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: