Day 296 ROYGBIV



October 1, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


I awake late this morning to the soothing sound of rain but instead of going to the gym, I walk in Downs Park. Except for staff, I am the only human at the park. Conditions are not right for a rainbow but I walk under one and hold my colorful umbrella firmly with two hands during frequent wind gusts. My mind plays with the pitterpat sounds on my umbrella and makes up simple tunes.
A squirrel crosses the path in front of me but its movement is not the normal fluid movement of squirrels. I like the way squirrels usually make graceful ballet-style leaps with their tails hesitating before they flow to catch up with their bodies. This squirrel must have felt too drenched to flow in its movement. 

I pass the beach and stop to watch the curling waves in the Chesapeake thrash against the shore and listen to its lively rhythm. A little further is the pond, which has been covered with algae bloom for the past two months. Today I’m glad to see that the algae breaking up and the pond returning to its normal state. Soon I will be able to see reflections again on its surface and turtles poking heads out of the water. Near the pond, I am surprised to see some honeysuckle still blooming—the last hangers-on of the season.

More than two miles later, I return to the car with my jeans soaked around my ankles but my spirit refreshed.

My gift today is rain rhythm.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 297: A Bright Spot

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: