Day 305 The Shape of Echoes


October 10, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)



Love. It is so much a part of my life and it has made all the difference—love of family, friends, self and gifts each day brings. Today did not deviate from this.

This afternoon, another of my nephews was married. I told both Justin and Jess that each of them had chosen well. It was obvious, as it is with many other family members and friends. They were married outdoors in a bucolic setting on a beautiful autumn day with leaves beginning to turn to warm colors. During the ceremony, the minister’s amplified voice echoed in the surrounding hills. His voice bounced back with subtlety and with a slightly different sound shape. I thought how appropriate it was.

During the reception, I asked the bride and groom to pose for a golden photo by standing behind a tent window with the setting sun behind them. The effect of the light and shadows took on a new significance in light of the occasion. Their silhouette was a kiss and the second shadow, a visual echo, was the same but larger and lighter.

I have never believed that two people become one when they marry. I have never accepted that after marriage a woman should be addressed as Mrs. John Smith. Even when I changed my last name in my first marriage, I never lost my first name and I used Ms. In my second marriage, I went back to my maiden name, a symbolic act of a larger belief that it is important for a couple to remain as individuals also. 

But there is a new echo because of that relationship. The echo of their union becomes a different shade and each grows because of their love. 


My gift today and every day is love.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 
You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: