Day 308 Success



October 13, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


I am not much of a gardener but sometimes I am successful. Our yard has many loblolly pines, which cause acidic soil that discourages grass growth. One side of the yard became mud that washed downhill toward our neighbor’s yard every time it rained hard. The mud was an eyesore and our yard was eroding. I had to do something. 

A manicured lawn is not important to me but I do like green, even in the form of weeds. Beginning in the spring, I started filling in bare patches with clover seed and leftover grass seed. I watered it frequently. I enjoyed the relaxation of sowing seed and watering but not the preparation of loosening the clay-like soil. Every day I looked for new growth. It seemed to take forever but eventually some bright green sprouts began to show.

Today I continued to fill in more bare patches. Although I prefer clover, I also sowed some grass seeds since I don’t want to waste what I already had. I am encouraged by success. An entire muddy section of the yard is now green with grass, clover and weeds—freshly mowed. Although the neighbors have a large potbellied pig, now I do not have to worry that the pig will wallow in my mud because the mud has given birth to green growth.

My gift today is green.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

              

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: