Day 320 Seven of Twenty



October 25, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

Artist, Loring Cornish, part of Baltimore's quirky community.
My husband and I grew up in Baltimore and, although we live south of the city, we find ourselves there many days each week. It has been named one of the top ten art cities in the country and in a Travel & Leisure article, it made number seven out of twenty of the quirkiest cities in America. I’m not surprised because I have met many local quirky Baltimoreans. There’s no way to even begin to name them but there is the man who seems to show up at every event in the city wearing green Bermuda shorts and a bow tie—even in winter. Of course, there’s the late musician Frank Zappa and the very much alive filmmaker John Waters. Writer Rafael Alvarez probably uses the word “hon” more times in a conversation than anyone, even those living in Hampden. I couldn’t leave out Mary England of Uncustomary Art who is on a personal campaign to keep snail mail alive and who celebrates each day with color, sparkles and outrageousness.

Today while we were at the Fells Point Fun Fest, we stopped in to see another of Baltimore’s quirky characters, artist Loring Cornish, discovered by quirky Rebecca Hoffberger of the American Visionary Art Museum. According to Loring, today is his 310th day to become a millionaire. He explained, “You have to keep shoveling the shit so it comes out gold.” He made me smile.

David Ettlin, one of Baltimore’s quirkiest characters, makes me smile too—every day. 

My gift today is rubbing shoulders with quirky characters.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

Day 321:  Unexpected Seasons

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me in this list of such fantastically inspiring quirky Baltimoreans. <3 You're the best.

    ReplyDelete

This space for your comments: