Day 329 Maryjane’s Candy



November 3, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


The theme of the small art show at Roman’s Place was candy, specifically Halloween candy, and the opening was tonight. I am always awed with the depth and breadth of creativity found in art exhibits, toy stores and specialty venues. In the past, I have bought items merely because I admired the inventiveness and imagination that gave it birth.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” ~ Albert Einstein

This candy exhibit at Roman’s is small but it is big in imagination such as a mask made of candy wrappers. Photographer Jim Burger, organizer of this exhibit, shows a photo of a woman, from the shoulders up but presumably naked, standing in front of the brown remnants of a cornfield and throwing candy corn up in the air against a mostly blue sky. His concept and execution are remarkable. Another piece, a sweet 3D, displays an assortment of previously licked and then shellacked round lollipops sticking out from a white base. Clever titles like Sugar Daddy made me chuckle. There is a series of drawings of mug shots, people arrested for crimes against Halloween, like a man accused of distributing toothbrushes instead of candy.

My hanging photo poster is a close-up—ribbons of sugarcoated rainbow candy. It is secured to the wall with whimsical monster finger puppets. I have played with these finger puppets merely because they make me smile. Anyone who eats this candy might be even more inclined toward laughter, silliness and sudden urges to bake and eat brownies. However, my eye, rather than my taste buds, is what drew me to the color, patterns and texture. Too bad that this beautiful Colorado candy is not available locally because it is illegal in Maryland. But it is not illegal to sell a photo of it—which I did. 

My gift today is sale of my art. 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 
http://welcometobaltimorehon.com/romans-place          

> Day 330: Alas, Deer Yorick

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: